Fried zucchini, grilled, roasted, stuffed, and several pots of ratatouille later, there’s still one more thing to try—zucchini fritters with “Everything but the Bagel Sesame” seasoning. Super easy to put together—they have a bit of zip from chopped jalapeño and a nice crunch from a quick pan fry. Top with a handful of chopped herbs and serve with a yogurt-lemon dip. Good hot or at room temperature.
- 2 medium zucchinis, coarsely grated
- ½ red onion, coarsely grated
- 1 jalapeño, more or less to taste—seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ to ¾ cup flour (add some rice flour for more crunch)
- 2 tblsp “Everything but the Bagel Sesame” seasoning—more or less to taste
- 1 egg—well beaten
- Chopped mixed herbs—dill, parsley, cilantro, etc
- Vegetable oil or shortening (like Crisco) for frying
- 1 cup yogurt with salt, lemon zest and fresh lemon juice to taste
Mix grated zucchini, onion and chopped jalapeño in colander—add salt, mix well with hands, and let drain for about 30 minutes. Squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Make yogurt dip and chill. Mix flour and bagel seasoning. Mix drained zucchini with egg and some of the chopped herbs–then with flour mixture, and combine well. Batter should be a little stiff and dry. In large skillet heat a few tablespoons of oil or shortening over medium high heat. Using ¼ cup measure, and working in batches, drop fritters into hot skillet and flatten slightly—flip once and continue until fritters are brown and crispy, about 4 minutes total. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt. Add more oil if needed between batches. Serve on platter with herb garnish and yogurt dipping sauce.
The Kitchen Hive