SWEET CORN PUDDING
We all love those custardy, sweet corn puddings, scented with nutmeg, from Mom’s southern kitchen. But there’s always room for one more good corn recipe this time of year. This pudding, halfway between the traditional custard and soft cornbread, was inspired by an Ina Garten recipe which would feed the multitude. Great with steamed shellfish or grilled chicken, or chilled and cut into small squares for cocktail hour. Add fresh herbs or a warm sweet spice to your taste.
- Microwave 3-4 ears of corn, husks on, for 3 minutes—let cool and cut kernels from cobs
- Melt ½ stick of butter and stir in corn kernels—let cool
- Beat two eggs—add 1 cup milk/lt cream, half and half, or a combination to equal 1 cup
- Whisk in 1/3 cup cornmeal, then ½ cup ricotta or cottage cheese
- Add salt, pepper to taste, and 2 tsp sugar—mix thoroughly
- Stir in the corn/butter mixture and ½ cup grated sharp yellow cheese
Pour mixture into a well-buttered 8 X 8 baking dish—then spread a little more grated cheese on top. Place the baking dish in a bain-marie (a larger baking dish filled half-way with hot water). Bake at 375’ for about 45 min—until a knife in center comes out clean.
The Kitchen Hive