STRAWBERRY, CUCUMBER, GOAT CHEESE SALAD
All the flavors of early summer—in a salad that looks as good as it tastes. Down our way, when the sun starts to edge toward summer-warm, there’s an irresistible stretch of road past the strawberry fields. When a breeze comes in off the ocean it blows the perfume of strawberries right into your car window. The magic lasts about four weeks—and it’s four straight weeks of strawberry recipes. Like the perfume from the strawberry fields, this very simple salad is just about as irresistible.
- Strawberries, hulled and sliced vertically
- English cucumber sliced thinly on a mandoline or by hand
- Shredded greens—watercress, romaine, etc
- Soft goat cheese (pictured: Humboldt Fog)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tblsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
Combine sugar and vinegar, stir and let rest until sugar dissolves. On each plate spread shredded greens, a layer of sliced cucumber, the sliced strawberries and dollops of the goat cheese. Drizzle olive oil over all. Serve with dressing on the side.
The Kitchen Hive