SHRIMP WITH LEFTOVERS
This is one of those back-pocket ideas for times like when the neighbors, just back from Italy, bring you some of the wine they brought home. All of a sudden, it’s 8 o’clock Sunday night, bottles are empty, everybody’s hungry, and everything’s closed (at least down our way). And this is my perfect rationale for always having a pound of flash frozen, raw, shell-on shrimp in the freezer. Sure, fresh is best, but this works.
- Set a large pot of water on to boil.
- When boiling rapidly, add frozen shrimp and remove pot from heat and cover. In 10-11 minutes, shrimp will be perfectly poached!
- Drain shrimp and cool until shells can be removed.
- Assess your leftovers! A half jar of roasted red peppers, a handful of green beans, some Greek olives, a few mushrooms—you know what you have on hand
- Heat butter and olive oil in large pan—the amount becomes the sauce
- Add a few crushed red peppers, a few drops of garlic and ginger oils, salt and pepper, some jerk seasoning and paprika–heat until it smells good
- Add cut-up leftovers all at once, stir to coat and warm
- Add cooked shrimp.
- Serve over rice
The Kitchen Hive