Major Grey makes great chutney. But with about 15 minutes effort, you can make this fresh home-made chutney in the microwave. The recipe works fine for many seasonal fruits—apricots, pineapples, nectarines, mangoes. Be sure to use a microwave-safe dish and check frequently as chutney starts to thicken. Recipe makes between 1 and 2 cups, depending on size of fruit. A bowl of seasoned curried rice, a few shrimp = dinner.
- 2 fresh, ripe peaches
- 1 small yellow sweet pepper
- A little grated onion (optional)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tblsps apple cider vinegar
- Ginger to taste—grated fresh, ground or some of both
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Black pepper
- Optional—1/2 orange, peel and all, adds tartness—use food processor for prep
Chop/mash peaches (orange, if using) and pepper. Add all ingredients to microwave-safe bowl and stir thoroughly. Microwave uncovered in 5-minute increments and stir each time you check. Chutney is done when consistency feels like heavy syrup. Cool and store in fridge in covered jar.
The Kitchen Hive