I’m one of those people who believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. This topic has been the subject of much debate lately. The rise in popularity of the ‘second breakfast’ may mean that the debate just doesn’t matter. People are going to eat breakfast in the morning. Maybe twice.
That brings us to the second biggest debate around breakfast: what should you eat.
As you know, I am a big believer in variety. So when I got bored with the wide variety of breakfast foods out there—you know, cereal, eggs, protein shakes, oatmeal, muffins, really the list is endless—I jumped at this quirky recipe. Best of all, it’s filling, really good for you, and sounds truly out of place on the breakfast line-up.
Quinoa with lime and fruit
- 3/4 Cup Quinoa
- Zest from one lime
- 2 cardamom pods, bruised but not broken (1/4 teaspoon of ground if pods unavailable)
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 Cup Water
- Lime juice from one lime
- Fruit to top off
- Some kind of milk—I use vanilla soy
- Combine the quinoa, lime zest, cardamom, cinnamon, salt and water in a pot.
- Bring to a boil, stir then cover with a tight-fitting top and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 20 minutes, then turn off heat. Do not open lid. Let steam for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice into the pot, fluff with a fork then serve.
- I treat this dish like a porridge so top it with fruit and soy milk.
I get three happy servings of this high protein breakfast cereal. You can make it the night before, since it is excellent hot or cold. I usually don’t get it together the night before, so I have it hot one day and cold for the next two. In terms of fruit, you can go tropical with kiwi or mango or papaya or banana. Or you can go berry or cherry or peach! I do frozen in winter—take out a fruit topping portion, pop it in the microwave to defrost and add to cereal.
Say goodbye boring breakfast!
2 thoughts on “Is breakfast boring you?”
Breakfast has been boring me! So this recipe is just in the nick of time (before acute boredom, which can be fatal). I’ll try it and report back…
You’re gonna love this! Can’t wait to hear your report.