CRANBERRY ORANGE CHOC CHIP BREAD
Some of us stock up this time of year on those bags of fresh cranberries—they last a long time in the freezer. This is a good bread to have around for holiday snacks, sliced on the dessert table, or toasted for breakfast. The almost sweet chocolate chips go well with the tangy cranberries. The recipe makes 2 small loaves. Enjoy!
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 cup buttermilk (or almost 1 c. milk mixed with 2 tblsp apple cider vinegar)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
In a bowl, whisk together the first five dry ingredients. In a larger bowl, combine beaten eggs, oil and orange zest. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture, alternately with buttermilk. Fold in cranberries, chocolate chips and walnuts. Pour into 2 buttered 8×4-in. loaf pans lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
The Kitchen Hive