Chicken and Avocado in Cream——-
Poulet et Poire d’Avocat a la Créme
One of the top 10 books on The Hive kitchen shelf is Pierre Franey’s “60-Minute Gourmet”. Not only is every recipe fast, fairly easy and full of flavor, but they each have that Je ne sais quoi thing going—that effortless French flavor pop. This is just as good with chicken thighs and Half and Half swapped in.
• 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces and sprinkled with salt and pepper
• 2 tblsp butter
• 1 tblsp spoon finely chopped shallots
• ¼ pound diced mushrooms
• 2 tblsp cognac
• 1 ½ cups cream
• 1 avocado, cut into ½ strips
• Melt butter in sauté pan, and cook chicken pieces over high heat, stirring and shaking for 3-4 minutes.
• Remove chicken to plate, then add shallots and mushrooms to pan and cook briefly.
• Sprinkle with cognac, add cream, then cook down over high heat about 5 minutes.
• Season to taste with salt and pepper, add avocado, then chicken, and cook gently in the sauce.
• Serving suggestion–with Curried Rice (Riz a l’Indienne)—rice cooked in chicken broth with butter, minced onion and garlic, curry powder, parsley and a few raisins.
The Kitchen Hive