Doesn’t everybody have this recipe? Every foodie and recipe file from Emeril to Martha Stewart, from the old Better Homes and Gardens cook book to today’s food and beverage magazines, claims this recipe as their own. But just in case you misplaced the recipe, here you go. Crisp fall apples with a sugary, warm spicy sauce and a crumbly topping—all there is to it.
For apple filling:
• Peel and core 2 ½ to 3 lbs (8 to 10) sweet firm apples (Braeburn, Rome, Gala), then cut into ½” pieces
• Add juice of 1 lemon, then sprinkle apples with1½-2 tblsp of cornstarch and mix well
• Add ¾ cup sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon and other warm spices to taste (allspice, nutmeg, cloves)
• Mix well and spread in buttered 9” X 13” baking dish
For crisp topping:
• 6 tblsp softened butter
• 2/3 cups flour
• 2/3 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
• 3/4 cup light brown sugar
• Cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
• Mix well and spread over apples
Bake in a pre-heated 375’ oven for at least 45 min. Apple Crisp is done when top is browned and apple mixture is bubbling around the edges. Cool about 20 min before serving.
The Kitchen Hive