The Last Salad of Summer
Combine the last of the sweet summer farm market fruits with a few tropical flavors, dress it with a sweet-tart orange dressing—and there you have it, the best of both worlds. Change up the fruits to your taste and to whatever is available now. Great on its own as a light lunch, or a sweet side to barbecue. Serves 2-4.
• 1 ripe, but still firm, mango
• 1 ripe peach
• ½ cup grapes, sliced in half
• 1 small banana
• ½ cantaloupe
• 1 stalk celery, small dice
• 2 tblsp. apricot or orange preserves
• 2 tblsp. frozen orange juice concentrate
• 1 tsp. lemon juice
• A few drops coconut extract
Cut fruits to bite size, add chopped celery for crunch, and toss. Stir dressing well to combine. Add dressing to fruit to your taste. Chill. Serve with drizzle of thinned sour cream, and garnish with fresh basil or mint leaves.
The Kitchen Hive