I cannot believe it is still winter out there. The official beginning of spring is in a couple of days. There’s so much snow on the ground. It’s freezing. I need some comfort soup!! I also need to be comforted with minimal effort. Have I got the soup.
Split Pea with Chorizo Soup
• Chorizo, sliced thin (I use the prepacked Goya chorizo set of 2, just under 4 ounces)
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1 large or 2 small chopped onions
• 16 ounces (=1 bag) dried yellow split peas
• 8 cups of chicken stock—if I don’t have that much I top up with water and it’s fine
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Sautee the chorizo in olive oil over medium heat until brown about 3 or 4 minutes
2. Add chopped onion and cook for 5 to 6 more minutes
3. Add split peas, stir, then add chicken stock and season with salt and pepper.
4. Simmer for 60 to 90 minutes, stirring occasionally (it WILL stick)
5. Voila! Enjoy and feel free to freeze any leftovers.