Craving some carbs with all those glorious summer salads? Cold Sesame Noodles. Here’s another one of those things everyone seems to know how to make. But once again, I could never get that bright, spicy, complex flavor I knew they could have. Until I found the almost perfect recipe in the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church cookbook—yup, another one of those great plastic spiral cookbook gems. Here’s my slightly enhanced version.
• Cooked Asian noodles (well rinsed rice noodles, if you need gluten-free)— 1 lb noodles serves 4-6
• 3 Tbsps. soy sauce
• 2-3 Tbsps. rice or black vinegar
• Hot pepper flakes to taste
• Orange zest to taste
• 2 Tbsps. dark brown sugar
• ½ cup sesame paste
• 1 tsp grated ginger (or ½ tsp ginger powder)
• ½ cup chicken broth/orange juice mixture
Heat and stir until smooth—let cool. Toss well with cold noodles. Garnish with red pepper strips and shaved cucumber.
The Kitchen Hive