Today is all about appetizers—easy, impressive and delicious (and need I say economical)!
• 2 cups flour
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1.5 cups water
• 1 bunch of scallions, halved and cut into 2-3 inch lengths
• 1 tsp salt
• Oil for cooking
• Soy sauce
• Chinese Chinkiang (black) vinegar
• Fresh ginger (if inspired)
1. Mix all ingredients together and let sit for about 10 minutes. Check consistency before cooking – batter should be a little bit runnier than American pancake batter, so that the Pa Jun cooks quickly and evenly.
2. Heat a saute pan over medium heat and coat with a thin layer of oil.
3. Fry 4” to 5’” rounds in hot vegetable oil (3-4 minutes until set and golden brown on bottom, turn over and finish by cooking 1-2 more minutes, adding more oil if necessary).
4. Drain on paper towels and cut into quarters.
5. Serve with dipping sauce of ½ soy sauce and ½ Chinese Chinkiang vinegar—add some slivered ginger.