Some things should never go out of style. Yes, the New York restaurant scene has seen the humble to the truffled deviled egg come and go over the last few years. One is hard put to find a $7 deviled egg on any serious restaurant menu these days. Those were the days, my friend.
They don’t have to be over! Like my wardrobe, which comes shockingly into fashion every 10 years or so, you don’t have to give up the devil. Sure, it’s tough to stand true that first year out when your deviled egg is seen as gauche, so last season. I suggest that you just try bringing these eggs to a party—and bring plenty of them. People may whisper, but I ask you, which appetizer consistently disappears first?
Mad Men Deviled Eggs
- 1 dozen eggs
- ½ Cup mayonnaise
- 6 ounces Greek yogurt (a single serving cup–I use 0% fat)
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 5-6 solid shakes of hot pepper sauce (e.g., McIlhenny’s tabasco or brand of your choice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hard boil eggs. I leave them in for 10 minutes on a low boil. Replace hot water with cold water immediately. You can even add ice. This makes for easier peeling.
- Cut eggs in half the long way. Empty yolks into a mixing bowl.
- Mash yolks with a fork before add other ingredients. Add mayo, yogurt, mustard, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Mix until fluffy. You can experiment with more or less mayo and yogurt depending on taste. I like no fat yogurt, since it cuts down on guilt, but not on taste.
- Overfill egg whites. Sprinkle with paprika. I use Spanish smoked paprika for extra flavor.
Note: These eggs are jumbo because that’s all they had at the supermarket. They are a bit easier to eat if you get a smaller size. However, you will lose some of the comedy of watching people try to eat the big ones.
2 thoughts on “Mad Men Deviled Eggs”
You’re right that no matter how passe they may seem… they’re always the first to go at parties. Even my vegan friends make up “it doesn’t count if” rules when there are deviled eggs. This looks like a tasty recipe!
Tasty and so easy! Long live flexitarian vegans!