I mean, you really need to love the ones you’re with—and they need to love you right back. This is one potent and delicious salad!! However, it is guaranteed to keep away vampires (and others averse to the allium family of vegetables that includes onions and garlic) in at least a one-mile radius.
That said, if one day you find yourself stuck with a bale of dill, (why don’t they sell it in reasonable portions?), this is a great way to make good use of it. I’ve suggested a moderate amount, but definitely feel free to add more. The combination of arugula and dill is surprising—both spiky and peppery—an excellent yin balance to the yang of the pickled allium and olive.
Love Salad (with Arugula and Dill)
- ½ red onion very thinly sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ½ Cup black olives (Kalamata if you have them), pits out and coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons (or more) fresh, chopped dill
- ½ Cup crumbled feta
- 4 Cups arugula, loosely packed
- In a large salad bowl, mix the onion, garlic, olives and salt and pepper.
- Dress with the olive oil and vinegar and let sit at room temperature for an hour.
- After an hour, stir in the dill and feta, add the arugula and toss the salad.
- EASY and hearty!