Don’t let the name fool you. This salad is beyond easy, though never fails to impress guests. In summer, I like to eat a combination of little things rather than have one main dish. That way, I get to fill up on lots of different flavors. It’s along the line of tapas, but in my experience tapas don’t always feature lots of the fresh vegetables that are around in summer time. Don’t get me wrong, I love tapas. I also really enjoy long leisurely light meals nibbling, talking and drinking wine with people I love.
Let this salad join the collection of the quick, healthy and tasty foods that are best enjoyed in summer.
- Slices of red onion
- Pine nuts (can substitute walnuts)
- Goat cheese log
- Olive oil
- Plain red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- This salad is prepared on separate plates for each person. Grab a big handful of arugula for each plate.
- Sprinkle with some sliced onion
- Toast the pine nuts for about 4 minutes. I tend to do this in a little iron pan on top of the stove. I can’t even count the number of times I have burned pine nuts black by putting them in an oven or toaster oven. I am an out of sight, out of mind kind of person.
- Season salad with salt and pepper.
- Slice off a round from the goat cheese log and place it on top.
- Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.
- Dress the salad directly (and lightly) using the 3 to 1 rule. If you don’t trust yourself to do it right at first, take a small empty jar, measure the oil and vinegar into it. Cap and shake then dress the salad.
FYI, this is my always leave them wanting more salad, so I tend to give generous portions. No one has the nerve to ask me to get up and make another salad for them. Not yet, anyway!