As many of you know, I’m just wild about greens. Couldn’t live without them. Ah, but like many wonders of nature, greens require some special love and care before they’re willing to reward you. Trust me, it’s worth it.
Today I’ll start with one of the more exotic greens, but I suspect that you’ll start to see a pattern with the greens recipes as I share them over time. (For example, this recipe is just as good with dandelion greens, which must be prepared the same way.)
Get ready for green goodness with….
Chicory – Italian Style!
- A good-sized head of chicory (looks like even curlier green-leaf lettuce)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Red chili flakes to taste
- A few squirts of fresh lemon juice
- Place fresh chicory in boiling water and boil for 7 minutes or until tender.
- Strain the chicory and let it drain.
- In a pan combine the oil, minced garlic, salt and chili flakes and saute on medium heat until the garlic begins to turn golden.
- Add the drained chicory to the pan and toss it gently on low heat for a few minutes.
- Serve hot or cold with a lemon wedge for squeezing.
Enjoy with fish, meat or tofu main dishes!