Everybody knows how to make this wonderful summer salad, right? The traditional–tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, olive oil, salt and pepper. Sometimes we part with the traditional to make this treat our own– I love a bit of vinegar and some oil cured olives in the mix—but I could never get that olive oil/vinegar thing right. Always a little too much zing. Until a friend gave me a bottle of “Salad” vinegar. What’s that? Seems every Southern kitchen but mine had a bottle on the counter—all my British friends did too. Salad Vinegar is a mix of white and malt vinegars with a little sugar—the zip without the bite for this soft summery salad from Capri.
• Swirl olive oil on large plate
• Sprinkle with vinegar, salt and pepper and mix to combine
• Cut tomatoes in bite size pieces and cover with torn mozzarella
• Scatter torn basil leaves over all
• Drizzle with more olive oil and add olives (optional)
The Kitchen Hive